Recommended power settings for USB3 cameras

I know this is not really a programming question but as I recently had some issues with my USB camera and could solve them by changing the default power saving settings of windows I wonder if you could give me some hints of how to change those settings to achieve the best performance from my camera.

I now that you have something similar for GigE Vision cameras (Network configuration) in your GenICam driver help.

I am working on Windows 10.

1 Like

@David, long time no see =)

Thanks for the question. Actually that might be a good topic for our online help.

I would suggest to open the “power options” for windows and check the following points:

PCI Express

• Link state power management = OFF

If you are using a PCI-Express card there might be also a driver option regarding the power management.

USB settings

• USB selective suspend setting = Disabled
  • USB 3 Link Power Management = Disabled

Note that the USB 3 Link Power Management settings are only available for Windows 10 (I think also Windows 8 maybe) but they are hidden and you have to change your windows configuration to see those settings.

One way to do that would be to use the command promt and send the following command:

Show

powercfg -attributes 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 d4e98f31-5ffe-4ce1-be31-1b38b384c009 -ATTRIB_HIDE

Hide

powercfg -attributes 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 d4e98f31-5ffe-4ce1-be31-1b38b384c009 +ATTRIB_HIDE

There might be other options of course. Just google it ^^

Processor power management

• Minimum processor state = 100 %

Regarding your system there might also be some relevant BIOS settings…

3 Likes