Do I need to update the CVB Drivers when Updating my OS from Ubuntu 16.04 to 20.04?

Hello,
I need to update a machine from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 20.04. I have already done the update on a test clone and tested the connected camera. I am now confused that the installed driver version is named cvb-13.01.003-ubu1604-x86_64 but seems to run without problems on Ubuntu 20.04. So is there a reason to update the driver or is it ok to continue using the old driver despite operating system updates?

Hi and welcome, @sebwr !

One thing to be aware of is, that the installer packages have been tested exclusively with the operating system version for which they were published - in your case Ubuntu 16.04. So if the package (or parts of it) fail on an updated Ubuntu 20.04 then there is not much we can do about it. We did in fact get reports that some scenarios did not take the update well (for example those versions we built for ubu12.04 did not cooperate well with 14.04…).

Of course there is always the alternative to go for a more up-to-date version of :cvb: that has been verified to cooperate with Ubuntu 20.04 (as the C-API remains stable once it is published the switch should not be unduly difficult). At the time of this writing such an update is free.

On the other hand: If your finding is that everything you need is working properly after the update and if your tests have thorough enough for what you plan to ship then I would consider it okayish (after all, moving to a more recent build of CVB will require you to thoroughly test as well).

1 Like

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I will now continue to test whether all functions really work smoothly.

1 Like