Compressing frames to jpeg in camera

Quick question, is it possible to compress frames to jpeg in the camera itself before it is sent over the network? or do the cameras usually only deliver raw?

Needing to do fast paced aqcuisition on 3 cameras at almost full 30fps each and store each frame coming from a hardware trigger, the reiceving computer is not fast enough to compress the raws to jpeg fast enough, so i wanted to see if it is a possibility to do that in the cameras themselves?

I’m working with genie nano series of cameras.

Best regards!

Hi @antonkristensen
This is not a standard feature of machine vision cameras. I know that some cameras from Teledyne Dalsa can use a special JPEG firmware, with which you can receive JPEG compressed images out of the camera.

Please get in contact with our support. They can check if your camera model is capable of using this special JPEG firmware.
de.support@stemmer-imaging.com

That’s a great question! Yes, it’s definitely possible to compress frames to JPEG right within the camera itself before transmitting them over the network. This functionality is quite common in modern cameras, including the Genie Nano series you mentioned.

By enabling jpg compress at the source, you can streamline the data transfer process and alleviate the processing burden on the receiving end. This approach proves especially beneficial in scenarios like yours, where you’re dealing with multiple cameras operating at high frame rates. Implementing in-camera JPEG compression allows for smoother and more efficient acquisition, ensuring that your system can handle the workload without any bottlenecks.