Introducing: CVB System Browser

Hi all,

I finally found some time to introduce the :cvb: System Browser to the forum :upside_down_face:

What is the System Browser?

The System Browser is a very easy to use system diagnosis and, as the name implies, system browsing tool. It is included in :cvb: since 13.02.000 and can be found in the Tutorials directory: %CVB%Tutorial\Image Manager\Cvb.Net\SystemBrowser .

The major purpose of this this software is to simplify the diagnosis of a vision system, especially for customer support. Its main parts are:

• Gathering system information
  • Discovering GigE / USB3 Vision cameras

System information :desktop_computer:

The “Information” tab reports following info:

• Installed CVB (version and architecture)
  • Windows version
  • CVB install directory
  • Active CVB licences
  • Detailed report of all network interfaces
  • Current state of several services
  • Exporting all infos to .xml file

Not only does this information help the customer identify faults in their system, since there is an export function, it can also help the SI support team easily get an overview of the customer’s system.

Device discovery :camera:

• Seeing the status of the camera (green, orange, red)
  • Grab from available camera
  • Access cameras nodemap
  • Acquisition statistics
  • Detailed discovery information (CVB discovery interface)
  • Bringing cameras in the correct subnet

The colour of the camera icon signals the current state of the device.

• :green_circle: = available and ready to be opened
  • :orange_circle: = available but in the wrong subnet
  • :red_circle: = Unavailable

If the camera is orange, it can be assigned a new IP address with one click. Another click will be necessary to decide if the new and automatically chosen IP address should be set persistent.

:exclamation:Please mind, that all this is based on the CVB Discovery interface and won’t affect the VIN driver configuration!

Exporting all information :open_file_folder:

Another important feature is the export functionality. The customer can save all the information about his system and the discovered cameras into a XML file, that can then be sent to SI support. In the future, there may be a tool to load such an xml file to have all the information in an UI again.

Source code available :nerd:

Another big benefit for the customer is the fact, that the whole source code of this application is available. This app shows exactly how we want our customers to use CVB.Net in C# WPF applications. It is structured and implemented following the MVVM concept and demonstrates techniques likes broadcast discovery and nodemap handling.

This application can truly be seen as both: a tutorial and a tool!

And now? :thinking:

Feel free to use this tool during daily business and please do not hesitate to give feedback! We will continue to develop the tool, and are depending on your feedback and feature requests. Thank you! :kiss:

Cheers,
Thomas

5 Likes

Hi Thomas,

the system browser is super cool, because it is really intuitive and easy to use. And on top it looks great!
For customers (and us) it could be the ideal tool for the first testings and configurations of cameras.

For this purpose I would love to see additional helper features in it, like:

• a display of the histogram of the images
  • a display of statistics of the images (number of pixels, mean, median, max, min, stdDev)

And ideally the user can also set an AOI on the image display, which is the base for these calculations.

For 3D cameras I have even more ideas that would help a lot and we could discuss, e.g.

• a display of a profile (“section”) of the image (from point A to B that the user can define)
  • a possibility to set the range limits for the LUT display of 16Bit images (e.g. from 10’000 to 15’000)
  • a possibility to display images in pseudo colors

Sorry, but you asked for feature requests. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Thomas,

I think most of the informations from your post could also be interessting for the customers so maybe you could think about moving this topic to an open category like “Gernal Questions”. There could also be some valuable feedback from customers.

From my side I like @Moli’s idea with the histogram and would add a lineplot to the feature list. This is something all linescan customers would like to have for focus setup and calibration.

Theo ^^

1 Like

Hey Thomas,

the system browser really looks like a useful asset for support.
In which releases of CVB ({full, Camerasuite} {’ ', Runtime}) is the system browser included? I did not really find this info anywhere.

best regards

1 Like

Hi @whisper,

thanks for your feedback! The SystemBrowser is part of all those installers that include development resources. These installers are those that don’t have the Runtime word in their file name.

Cheers!

1 Like